NO LONGER IN EFFECT
Rescinding Local Letter of Instruction for Sports and Recreation Facilities – News Release issued February 26, 2022
You will need to provide your proof of vaccination, your active medical exemption, or your participation in a Health Canada approved Covid-19 vaccine trial, along with your valid ID to access some businesses and settings.
Your proof of vaccination is your enhanced vaccine certificate with an official QR code, sometimes called a vaccine record. Your enhanced vaccine certificate is the most secure and convenient way to store and show your proof of vaccination status.
*As of January 4, 2022: Ontarians will be required to use their enhanced vaccine certificate with official QR code. Vaccine receipts without a QR code will no longer be accepted as valid proof of vaccination.
You do not need to download an app. You only need the QR code certificate from the provincial vaccine portal.
You can also call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 to have your enhanced vaccine certificate emailed or mailed to you.
Where proof of vaccination is required
Have your vaccine certificate and your ID ready when entering a business or organization.
Businesses and organizations are required to check that your name and date of birth on your proof of vaccination matches your ID.
You must show your proof of vaccination certificate and ID to enter indoor areas of:
- restaurants, bars and other food and drink establishments without dance facilities
- food or drink establishments with dance facilities, including nightclubs, restoclubs and other similar establishments, and outdoor areas of these establishments
- meeting and event spaces (with limited exceptions)
- facilities used for sports and recreational fitness activities and personal physical fitness training (with limited exemptions), including:
- fitness, sporting and recreational facilities
- sporting events
- indoor areas of facilities where spectators watch events
- casinos, bingo halls and other gaming establishments
- concert venues, theatres and cinemas
- bathhouses, sex clubs and strip clubs
- horse racing tracks, car racing tracks and other similar venues
- commercial film and TV productions where there is a studio audiences
You must show your proof of vaccination certificate and ID to enter:
- any of the following outdoor areas that have a normal capacity of 20,000 or more people:
- outdoor meeting and event spaces (with limited exemptions)
- outdoor facilities used for sports and recreational fitness activities, including waterparks and personal physical fitness training (with limited exemptions)
- Includes gyms, fitness/sporting/recreational facilities, pools, leagues, sporting events, waterparks, and indoor areas of facilities where spectators watch events
- outdoor concert venues, theatres and cinemas
- outdoor horse racing tracks, car racing tracks and other similar venues
- outdoor areas of food or drink establishments with dance facilities, including nightclubs, restoclubs and other similar establishments, and indoor areas of these establishments
Where proof of vaccination is not required
You do not have to show your proof of vaccination certificate, proof of medical exemption or proof of participation in a vaccine trial if you are:
- 12 years and (84 days) 12 weeks of age or younger
- Beginning December 20, 2021, proof of vaccination will be required for anyone 12 years of age and older participating in organized sports at recreational facilities.
- entering a business temporarily to:
- use a washroom
- access an outdoor area that you can only get to by going indoors
- make a retail purchase
- place, pick up or pay for an order
- make a bet or pick up winnings at a racing track
- purchase admission
- entering the business for health and safety purposes
For full details of Proof of Vaccination please see the Province of Ontario’s website.