COVID-19 (2019 Novel Coronavirus)

Travel Restrictions & Guidance

COVID-19 Travel Advice

The Canadian Border Services Agency and the Public Health Agency of Canada jointly administer the Quarantine Act. Lambton Public Health can provide general information to inform travel decisions, however we cannot provide case/traveller-specific guidance, clearance, exemptions, etc. Please contact either of the following federal agencies for specific questions:

Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC):

1-833-784-4397 (If you are in quarantine following travel and have questions)

Canadian Border and Service Agency (CBSA):


Community transmission of COVID-19 continues in many countries.

You should be fully vaccinated by completing a COVID-19 vaccine series in Canada or abroad at least 14 days before travelling. Be aware that although you are better protected against serious illness if you are vaccinated, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.

If you’re unvaccinated, you remain at increased risk of being infected with and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 when travelling internationally. Canadians are urged to take precautions if choosing to travel.

Regardless of your vaccination status:

  • stay informed of COVID-19 activity at your destination, which can vary significantly and change quickly from one country to another and within regions of the country
  • use personal protective measures (like wearing a mask, washing hands and maintaining physical distancing where possible)
  • follow any additional local public health measures while travelling
  • check Canadian travel requirements

Travel Within Canada

Travelling between provinces/territories

COVID-19 vaccination is required for travel by air, interprovincial train and for travel on large marine vessels that have overnight accommodation (e.g. cruise ship).

Check the Government of Canada requirements.

Check the provincial or territorial requirements for any additional restrictions in the area you are travelling to.

Travel to Canada

The Canadian Border and Services Agents will determine if you are eligible to enter Canada. Travellers not meeting all the requirements to enter Canada will be denied entry, precluded from boarding their flight and/or could be fined upon arrival.


Anyone entering Canada must use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information within 72 hours prior to entry (including those returning from a short trip to the USA):

  • Contact & travel information
  • 14-day travel history
  • Quarantine plan for partially/unvaccinated travellers (excluding children ages 5-11 that are travelling with fully vaccinated parent/step-parent/guardian/tutor or travellers with a medical contraindication to a COVID-19 vaccine).
  • Proof of pre-entry test result, if required (see details and exceptions below)
  • Proof of vaccination, if you have been vaccinated (must be in English or French, or a certified translation). 
  • COVID-19 symptom self-assessment

Proof of Vaccination

The Canadian proof of vaccination (POV) is a joint provincial and federal document that has both provincial and federal logos. You can use the proof of vaccination to access services and settings where required and to facilitate travel within and outside of Canada. If you received your COVID-19 vaccinations in Ontario and/or you live in Ontario, access your POV here.

Vaccine Exemptions

Refer to federal information (click the “Unvaccinated and all others” dropdown).

Partially or unvaccinated travelers who are currently permitted to enter Canada under federal exemptions, must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival and follow any other rules set forth by federal authorities.

Travelling with children

Unvaccinated children travelling with unvaccinated guardians must quarantine for 14 days from arrival.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated youth 12 to 17 years of age are subject to the 14-day quarantine, whether or not they are accompanied by a fully vaccinated guardian.

Unvaccinated children under 12 years of age travelling with fully vaccinated guardians and who do not have signs and symptoms of COVID-19 are not required to quarantine upon entering Canada. Children who are exempt from quarantine do not need to wait 14 days before attending school, camp or child care; however, they do need to wear a mask at all times when in public spaces (including at school and child care). Please refer to the After returning from travel section for more details.

Testing & Quarantine Requirements

Pre-entry Testing

Fully vaccinated travellers and children 11 years old and younger that are travelling with a fully vaccinated guardian (or guardian that is medically exempt from COVID-19 vaccine) are no longer required to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land or water.

Partially or unvaccinated travelers who are currently permitted to travel to Canada under federal exemptions, are required to have a valid pre-entry test:

  • A negative supervised* COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) taken no more than 1 day before their scheduled flight or arrival at the port of entry, or 
  • A negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken within 72 hours of entry into Canada, or
  • A positive COVID-19 molecular test taken within 10-180 days prior to entry. 
  • A positive antigen pre-entry test result is never a valid test result for boarding a flight or entry to Canada, not even if it is from within 10 to 180 calendar days before your date of entry.
  • Please refer to the Government of Canada website for what to do if you receive a positive result on your pre-entry test

*Note: Any RAT must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service. Taking an at-home RAT is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement. For more information on acceptable tests, refer to Federal travel website.

Travellers are responsible for fees, including testing and all other associated expenses. COVID-19 travel testing fees may cost over $200.

Arrival Testing

All travellers (including fully vaccinated) that are 5 years of age and older may be subject to random arrival testing (provided by government).

Exemptions for travellers


Unvaccinated travelers (with a right to enter Canada) are required to quarantine for 14 days.


United States Travel

Other country travel restrictions

Other country approved vaccines


If I received a vaccine in another country do I need to get another shot here? What proof is needed? How can I register my shot?

As per guidance from the Ontario Ministry of Health regarding individuals vaccinated outside of Canada/Ontario:

• Proof of immunization (e.g. an immunization record, proof of vaccination certificate) is required to verify the COVID-19 vaccine product received outside of Canada or Ontario
• Individuals who have received a partial or complete COVID-19 vaccine series outside of Ontario or Canada and live in Lambton County should contact Lambton Public Health to have their COVID-19 immunization record documented in the provincial COVID-19 vaccine record system•
• Individuals who received the first dose of a two-dose Health Canada authorized COVID-19 vaccine series outside of Ontario or Canada do not need to restart the vaccine series, but should receive the second dose as close to the interval recommended by Ontario as possible
• Individuals who have received all or some of the recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is neither authorized by Health Canada nor listed for emergency use by World Health Organization (WHO) should be offered a new series of a Health Canada authorized COVID-19 vaccine
• Individuals who have proof of immunization and have received a complete one or two-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine that is not authorized for use by Health Canada will be offered one additional dose of an mRNA vaccine

I am fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Do I need to upload my vaccine records to the ArriveCAN app?

Yes. You must use ArriveCAN to enter your proof of vaccination and additional required information. 

• Proof of vaccination is not automatically uploaded from your provincial vaccine record. 
• You can access your vaccine receipts using the provincial COVID-19 vaccination website
• If you are not able to access the vaccine receipts using the above website, call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 (open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week).
• Lambton Public Health may also provide assistance for accessing vaccine receipts. Please call 519-383-8331.

I previously had COVID-19. Can I travel?

If you previously had COVID-19, you must be symptom free and have completed isolation requirements prior to travel. You must also ensure that any proof of COVID-19 documents comply with ArriveCAN documentation requirements.

• Lambton Public Health does not provide letters for travel

What do I need to know to Travel to the US?

Fully vaccinated international travelers (air, land, water) will be permitted to enter the United States for non-essential purposes (e.g. travel).  Travel requirements include:
• A negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 24 hours will be required for anyone travelling by air. Testing is not required for travelling to the US by land.
• Travelers must be fully vaccinated. The United States accepts mixed-dose vaccinations: 

For up to date information, refer to:
• US Embassy in Canada: COVID-19 Information
• CDC: International travel requirements

What do I need to do if daytripping to the United States?

If driving to the United States from Canada and returning within 72 hours you must meet the ArriveCAN requirements for returning to Canada or you could be be subject to fines and/or required to quarantine for 14 days.