Promoting positive mental health is an upstream approach to reducing the negative impact of mental illness on individuals, families, workplaces and communities. Lambton Public Health (LPH) promotes mental health through1:
- Creating supportive environments
- Building individual skills
- Reorienting mental health services
- Strengthening community action
- Developing healthy public policy
Three important determinants of positive mental health are social inclusion (feeling connected), freedom from discrimination and violence (physical and psychological safety), and access to economic resources (having enough money)2.
LPH does not provide counselling but we work closely with our community partners to help you get connected to the appropriate services. Visit MindsConnected.ca.
- Start young
- Take our Prenatal Classes or visit an Ask a Public Health Nurse Parent Drop-in
- Learn about our Positive Space Policy
- Advocate for initiatives to help reduce poverty
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Canadian Mental Health Association Ontario