Point Edward, ON – Beginning today, eligible Lambton County residents can begin booking appointments to receive the updated COVID-19 vaccine targeting the XBB 1.5 variant, as well as the annual influenza vaccine.
Individuals currently eligible to book include populations identified as being at high-risk for severe negative health outcomes this respiratory illness season. These high-risk populations include:
- Individuals 65 and over
- Individuals 6 months to 4 years of age
- Pregnant individuals
- Individuals who are from a First Nation, Inuit or Métis community and their household members
- Healthcare workers and first responders
- Individuals with chronic health conditions
COVID-19 and influenza vaccine appointments can be booked through Lambton Public Health (LPH) by visiting GetTheVaccine.ca, or by calling LPH’s Vaccine Call Centre at 226-254-8222. Clinic dates and times will be updated at LambtonPublicHealth.ca as they are made available. Participating pharmacies and health care providers will also receive vaccines in mid-to-late October and provide additional opportunities to get vaccinated.
Both COVID-19 and influenza vaccine appointments will be made available to the general population beginning Monday, Oct. 30.
Staying up to date on COVID-19 vaccines and flu shots is one of the best ways to prevent respiratory illness, however they are just two of the tools available to protect yourself and the community. Residents are also encouraged to practice the basic learned actions that add additional layers of protection against respiratory illnesses such as COVID-19, RSV, and the flu.
These basic actions include:
- Staying home when you are sick
- Practicing good hand hygiene and regularly cleaning surfaces
- Covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Considering wearing a mask in public spaces, particularly if you are at high risk
Residents are also reminded that they are expected to wear a mask at LPH community clinics. Please remain home if you are sick and rebook your appointment for a later date.