Vaccination is a safe, effective way to protect people of all ages from serious illness and complications of vaccine-preventable diseases. People who are not vaccinated can pass diseases to others, or be left unprotected during an outbreak.
Vaccines for adults:
As an adult you should receive the following free vaccines:
- tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (once in adulthood, once in every pregnancy)
- tetanus, diphtheria (every 10 years)
- flu shot (every fall)
- pneumococcal (at age 65)
- shingles (one dose between age 65 to 70)
Other recommended vaccines may vary based on your health, occupation or travel destination.
For more information visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/vaccines-adults
Vaccines during pregnancy:
Pregnant individuals are eligible to get free pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine in every pregnancy to help protect the baby after birth. The pertussis vaccine is given as part of the tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) vaccine.
The preferred time to get a Tdap vaccine is between 27 and 32 weeks of pregnancy to allow optimal transfer of antibodies to the baby. Talk to your healthcare provider early in your pregnancy to ensure you get any recommended vaccines at the optimal time.
When travelling outside Canada, you may be at risk for certain vaccine-preventable illnesses. Start planning at least six to eight weeks ahead of your departure to protect yourself. Visit the Public Health Agency of Canada website to get a list of recommended vaccinations for your travel destination.
Lambton Public Health is not providing travel vaccines at this time. Talk to your healthcare provider or visit a travel clinic.
Where to get vaccinated:
- Most vaccines are available through your healthcare provider.
- Some vaccines for adults are available at local pharmacies (e.g. flu, COVID-19, shingles, travel vaccines).
Public Health Routine Clinics
- If you do not have a healthcare provider or have difficulty accessing vaccines from your healthcare provider you may be eligible to attend public health routine clinics. Go to Immunization Clinics